Tax Bill Advocacy
Recently proposed Tax reform legislation will impact higher education and Graduate students. One of the significant provisions in the House Bill H.R.1 (which was passed on Nov 16, 2017), Section 1204, repeals Sec.117(d)(5) of the current tax code, which offers tax exemption to tuition waivers that many graduate students receive. This will significantly increase the tax burden on graduate students.
The Senate version of H.R.1, which was passed on 2 December 2017, retains the tuition waiver tax exemption.
Graduate SGA is actively engaging with policymakers and Institute and USG leadership on the proposed Tax Bills. Your support will be crucial for the success of our advocacy efforts.
Currently, the Conference Committee comprising both Representatives and Senators is currently working on the final, reconciled version of the bill, which is expected to be heard by the House and Senate by the end of the year. Unconfirmed reports (see link) suggest that the conference version retains the tuition waiver and student loan interest repayment exemptions. However, till the final version is released and voted on, we urge you to continue calling your representatives and senators, so that these clauses are not traded away during last minute negotiations.
What you can do?
- Call your Senators and Congressmen NOW.
- If you, or your family are from a district or state represented by a conference committee members, please call them to express your concerns. See list and contacts of conference members.
- Urge your parents, professors, fellow graduate and undergraduate students to call their representatives.
- Connect with elected representatives on Social Media, including Twitter, and share news, and op-eds about this issue.
- Reach out to us in Grad SGA through your Departmental Senators.
Graduate SGA Communiques
- 28 Nov 2017 – Tax Bill Advocacy Updates – Letter to the Georgia Tech Student Body.
- 8 Nov 2017 – Letter to Georgia Tech Graduate Students (PDF).
- Graduate Tax Calculator (Unofficial – created by Gatech Grad SGA).
- NAGPS – Tax Bill Advocacy Page and Press Kit (with suggested call scripts).
- NAGPS – Suggested Action Plan and Tax Legislations Cheat Sheet.
- Conference Committee news and members list.
- Text of H.R.1 – Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (House Bill).
- Text of the Senate Finance Committee Tax Bill (PDF).
- USG Student Governments’ letter to USG Chancellor and Regents.
- Gatech Graduate Senate Resolution 18G010.
- USG Chancellor Steve Wrigley’s Letter to Senator Isakson.
- Letter from Rep Pete Sessions (R-TX) about the Grad Student Tax, with 31 Congressional signatories, including 25 Republican representatives.
- Washington Post, ‘Proposed tax for graduate students killed, student loan interest deduction saved in congressional bill‘, Dec 14, 2017.
- [VIDEO] Conference Committee meeting stream on CSPAN, 13 Dec 2017.
- [VIDEO] House discussion on Graduate tuition waiver, and Chairman Brady’s response.
- WFTV9, ‘House Republicans voted for tax reform, but asked for changes in the bill as well’, 18 Nov 2017.
- Denton Record Chronicle, ‘House GOP bill would tax grad student tuition’, 27 Nov 2017.
- Atlanta Journal Constitution, ‘Georgia students say tax plan will hurt education’, 13 Nov 2017.